Welcome to Sarjeant Propane!

At Sarjeants, we have a long-standing history of delivering reliable home heating and energy solutions to customers in Ontario. Our journey began in 1889, delivering construction materials, firewood and ice as far as Rochester, New York, by Horse and buggy. Over the years, we have earned the trust of our customers through our unwavering commitment to excellence. Our first transition was from firewood to coal and then to blue coal. In 1952, we made a strategic decision to transition into the oil industry, and in 1975, we expanded our presence in the North, reaching from Timmins to Fort Frances.

In 2014, we embraced propane as one of our core offerings, solidifying our dedication to innovative solutions for our customer’s energy needs. Our focus on cutting-edge technologies and sustainable practices has allowed us to stay ahead of the curve and provide efficient and environmentally friendly propane solutions.

In 2023, we reached a significant milestone by acquiring the northern Ontario territory from Superior Propane. This expansion, stretching from Fort Frances to New Liskeard, has opened up new avenues to serve our regional customers. Operating under Sarjeant Propane, we are thrilled to bring our exceptional products and services to even more households and businesses.

At Sarjeant Propane, we understand the importance of putting our customers first. We strive to exceed their expectations by providing personalized service and tailored solutions. Our dedicated team of experienced professionals remains committed to maintaining the high level of service our customers have come to expect from us.

As we continue our journey, we remain focused on continuous improvement and innovation. We invest in state-of-the-art equipment and technology to ensure efficient propane delivery. Our wide range of top-quality products, including tanks, appliances, and accessories, are designed to meet the unique needs of our customers. We are committed to providing industry-leading solutions that not only meet our customers’ energy needs but also contribute to a sustainable future. Our long-standing reputation for excellence is a testament to our commitment to delivering value to our customers.

our history

1871

1871
  • 1871
       

    1871 - 1871

    Mr. James S. Johnston, a Merchant, began a business in Barrie dealing in coal, wood, cement, and building supplies. Sixteen-year-old Walter Sarjeant went to work with Mr. Johnston and, after a few years of learning the business, entered into a partnership, forming “Johnston and Sarjeant” in 1889.

  • 1889
       

    1889 - 1889

    Walter Sarjeant entered into a business partnership with his employer of 18 years, James S. Johnson. Together, they formed the Sarjeant Company.

  • 1903
       

    1903 - 1903

    When Mr. Johnston retired in 1903, the partnership dissolved. Still, Samuel Sarjeant (who had joined the company in 1890) and his brother Walter began a business called the Sarjeant Company of Barrie. In 1903, a new partnership was formed in Orillia with the retirement of Mr. Sanderson, who was in a similar type of business.

  • 1905
       

    1905 - 1905

    Sarjeants Head Office in Barrie, 1905. It marked the beginning of the Sarjeant Company of Orillia. In 1905, both Sarjeant companies (Barrie and Orillia) were incorporated as The Sarjeant Company Limited, with Barrie serving as its head office.

  • 1909
       

    1909 - 1909

    Walter Sarjeant and Allan Laidman, partners, started Sarjeant Insurance.

  • 1929
       

    1929 - 1929

    Sarjeant Insurance was incorporated as part of Sarjeant Co. Ltd. Later, in 1950, it became a separate firm.

  • 1945
       

    1945 - 1945

    The company bought the Jenkins Coal Co. in Allandale and Barrie. An artificial ice plant with a capacity of 12 tonnes a day was installed in Orillia. Operations ceased in 1966.

  • 1952
       

    1952 - 1952

    The company bought the Cameron Ellis Gibson Ltd. fuel and oil business.

  • 1956
       

    1956 - 1956

    The ready-mix concrete business began with a plant built in Barrie and two ready-mix trucks. A plant was later built in Orillia.

  • 1960
       

    1960 - 1960

    John Elliott started Elliott Mobile Mix in North Bay Cobourg.

  • 1964
       

    1964 - 1964

    John Elliott founded Custom Ready Mix Limited with his cousin Fraser Elliott, founder of Stikeman Elliott LLP in 1952, with 12 employees in Markham with a concrete plant, garage and office.

  • 1966
       

    1966 - 1966

    Custom expands with plant #2 in Mississauga

  • 1967
       

    1967 - 1967

    Adds a Technical Service Department and builds a concrete testing laboratory in Markham

  • 1969
       

    1969 - 1969

    Renaming of “Custom Ready Mix Limited” to “Custom Concrete Limited” and expansion of plant #3 in Oakville.

  • 1970
       

    1970 - 1970

    Custom Concrete Ltd. purchased the Sarjeant Company, a new era began with the Elliott family, and has represented its largest acquisition. This acquisition added three concrete plants to Customs’ portfolio: Barrie, Orillia, and Midland, and it expanded to Brechin in the years to follow. The business also supplied home heating oil, as well as other building materials and land holdings.

  • 1971
       

    1971 - 1971

    Sarjeant acquires Terminal Holdings (Barrie) Limited and Barrie Trucking Terminal & Warehousing to expand its land holdings, building materials, and trucking divisions. Part of the land holdings is where the new Sarjeant facilities were constructed for the concrete plant and fuel operation off of Dunlop Street, the current head office on Sarjeant Drive. Sarjeant Moved from its location on Mary Street, which was home for approximately 90 years.

  • 1972
       

    1972 - 1972

    Custom buys pits in Uxbridge and 200 acres in Aberfoyle and founds Custom Aggregates. In 1980, it became Aberfoyle Fisheries and turned to Aberfoyle Springs in 1993. Nestlé purchased Aberfoyle Springs in 2002.

    Custom also expands and buys Belko Ready Mix to add an Oshawa plant and build a Bracebridge plant. Customs footprint is now Burlington in the West, Bowmanville in the East and Huntsville in the North.

  • 1973
       

    1973 - 1973

    Concrete block plant and building supplies in Barrie and Orillia are sold from Sarjeant.

  • 1976
       

    1976 - 1976

    Custom Concrete bought Parnell Concrete Products in Timmins, establishing a regional office off Riverside Drive, including a concrete block plant, a large aggregate deposit, and a construction supply business. The same year, Custom purchased its first portable ready-mix plant, the AssinckOne. It is mobilized in Timmins at the Dougwall site to supply 100,000 yards of concrete for the new Kidd Creek Smelter site. This was the first of many portable concrete plants we would use to perform projects in the far North of Ontario for mining, infrastructure, pulp and paper, and lumber sites.

  • 1979
       

    1979 - 1979

    Sold Bracebridge concrete plant to Muskoka Ready Mix Limited.

  • 1980
       

    1980 - 1980

    The fuel oil petroleum products division had the most significant growth between 1970 and 1985, acquiring many companies from Barrie, Midland, Orillia, Alliston and surrounding areas including but not limited to; Maverick Fuels Ltd (Alliston), Rolls and Simpson Ltd, Peacock Petroleum Ltd (Barrie), Orillia Fuels Ltd and Coldwater Heating.

  • 1984
       

    1984 - 1984

    Custom acquired Kirk Dowling Concrete in Barrie.

  • 1985
       

    1985 - 1985

    Custom acquired Timmins Diesel Limited, bringing fuel delivery to the Timmins region.

    John Elliott grows Custom Concrete Group into Canada’s largest privately-owned ready-mix company. John and Fraser sold Custom Concrete Limited to St. Lawrence Cement Inc., and at the same time, John bought Fraser’s equity in the remaining assets and parted ways. They divested all assets South of Highway 9. Still, they retained The Sarjeant Company all assets North of Highway 9 across Simcoe County and Muskoka as well as the newly founded Custom Concrete (Northern) in Timmins and Iroquois Falls, as well as the portable plants in Detour Lake, Chapleau and Cochrane. Again, a new era was born.

  • 1987
       

    1987 - 1987

    Sarjeant Aggregates is formed by purchasing aggregate pits in Essa, Oro and Phelpston.

  • 1989
       

    1989 - 1989

    Sarjeant marked 100 years in business.

  • 2000
       

    2000 - 2000

    After the sale of Aberfoyle Springs, Scott Elliott bought out his brother’s interest in The Sarjeant Company Limited and Custom Concrete (Northern), starting the second generation of Elliott ownership and operation.

  • 2005
       

    2005 - 2005

    Sarjeants opened a ready-mix plant in Bradford, Ontario. In 2005, the company branched out into property development in Simcoe County with a fifty-estate-lot subdivision in Midhurst, which was completed in 2007.

  • 2006
       

    2006 - 2006

    Sarjeants opened a ready-mix plant in Huntsville, Ontario. From this location, they could service commercial and residential customers in the Muskoka area.

  • 2007
       

    2007 - 2007

    In 2007, our property development efforts reached new heights. We successfully completed a much larger residential development in Essa Township, Brownley Meadows, which comprised 376 residential homes. This project was a testament to our growth and success in the industry. Additionally, the start of the Carson Ridge Estate subdivision in Midhurst saw the development of 51 residential estate homes.

  • 2008
       

    2008 - 2008

    The company acquired three fuel companies, Grants Fuels, Leeder Fuels, and Middleton Fuels, expanding its reach in the fuel business. Custom Concrete (Northern) in Timmins consolidated its locations into a new, larger facility in early 2008, bringing its many different divisions under one roof.

  • 2009
       

    2009 - 2009

    Our Huntsville operation grew from an aggregate pit into a brand-new 5,000-square-foot building in early 2009. This location is the regional office for the Muskoka area.

  • 2010
       

    2010 - 2010

    Acquired Waites Fuel in Muskoka.

  • 2011
       

    2011 - 2011

    Acquired the oil portion of Budget Fuel in Muskoka

  • 2012
       

    2012 - 2012

    Sarjeants established a concrete plant northwest of Fort McMurray, Alberta to provide concrete for a large commercial project.

    We also mourn the passing of our esteemed founder, John Orville Elliott, on June 19th, in his 81st year.

  • 2013
       

    2013 - 2013

    Sarjeants opened a new commercial Cardlock fuel depot in Timmins. Four centres now fuel trucks 24 hours a day using a computerized automated system.

  • 2014
       

    2014 - 2014

    Sarjeants acquired a CRS residential propane business to enter the propane industry and start its customers’ transition from heating oil.

  • 2018
       

    2018 - 2018

    Brandon Elliott was appointed President of The Sarjeant Company Limited to start the third generation of Elliott owner-operators. In the same year, Sarjeants purchased Flying D Fuels.

  • 2023
       

    2023 - 2023

    Sarjeants opens a new ready-mix plant in Parry Sound. This site will also hold a new cardlock fuel/propane outlet. Timmins Rail Depot includes a cement blending and storage facility and a fuel and propane storage facility. This is to assist with the high transport costs and the serviceability of products in the North due to inclement weather and treacherous roads.

    November 2023 also marks a milestone for Sarjeants with the successful acquisition of the Northern Ontario territory, spanning from Fort Frances to New Liskeard, from Superior Propane. The territory operates under the name Sarjeant Propane. Sarjeant Propane welcomes this new chapter and is proud of the chance to bring job opportunities, such as backend office staff, administration, and operations, back to the North, ultimately enabling better service for customers and the community of Northern Ontario.

  • 2024
       

    2024 - 2024

    The Bracebridge Cardlock fuel station at the propane depot is now open to the public, expanding the Cardlocks to five locations.

TODAY
1871
1871

Mr. James S. Johnston, Merchant, began a business in Barrie dealing in coal, wood, cements and building supplies. Sixteen year old Walter Sarjeant went to work with Mr. Johnston and, after a few years learning the business, entered into a partnership forming “Johnston and Sarjeant” in 1889.

1889
1889

Walter Sarjeant entered into a business partnership with his employer of 18 years, James S. Johnson, together they formed the Sarjeant Company.

1903
1903

When Mr. Johnston retired in 1903 the partnership dissolved but Samuel Sarjeant (who had joined the company in 1890), together with his brother Walter, began a business called the Sarjeant Company of Barrie. In 1903 a new partnership was formed in Orillia with the retirement of Mr. Sanderson who was in a similar type of business.

1905
1905

Sarjeants Head Office in Barrie, 1905. It marked the beginning of the Sarjeant Company of Orillia. In 1905, both Sarjeant companies (Barrie and Orillia) were incorporated as The Sarjeant Company Limited with Barrie serving as its head office.

1909

Walter Sarjeant and Allan Laidman, partners, started Sarjeant Insurance.

1929

Sarjeant Insurance incorporated as part of the Sarjeant Co. Ltd. Later, in 1950 Sarjeant Insurance became a separate firm.

1945
1945

The company bought the Jenkins Coal Co. in Allandale and Barrie. An artificial ice plant was installed in Orillia with of capacity of 12 tonnes a day. Operations ceased in 1966.

1952

The company bought the Cameron Ellis Gibson Ltd. fuel and oil business.

1961

John Elliott started Elliott Mobile Mix in Cobourg.

1956
1956

The ready mix concrete business begins with a plant built in Barrie and two ready-mix trucks. A plant is later built in Orillia.

1971

Sarjeant’s Aberfoyle pit water well discovery, turning to Aberfoyle Springs in 1991 and then purchased by and branded to Nestlé Pure Life since 2002.

1970
1970

The Sarjeant Company was purchased by Custom Concrete Ltd.; a new era began with the Elliott family. The concrete supply business was expanded to include ready-mix plants in Barrie, Midland, Orillia, Brechin, Timmins, Iroquois Falls, Cochrane, Kirkland Lake, Hoyle and Smooth Rock Falls. Together with the Northern Ontario operations,The Sarjeant Company included four sand gravel operations and five portable ready-mix plants capable of producing concrete in remote areas as well as for large projects. The ready mix concrete and aggregate division became dominant in Simcoe County and the Timmins area making Custom Concrete the largest independent ready-mix company in Canada. Fuel oil facilities were built along with office buildings and the concrete plant at the Sarjeant Company’s current location on Sarjeant Drive. The fuel oil petroleum products division had the greatest growth between 1970 and 1985.

1976

Custom Concrete purchased its first portable ready-mix plant, the Assink One. It is mobilized in Timmins at the Dougwall site to supply 100,000 yards of concrete for the new Kidd Creek Smelter site. This was the first of many portable concrete plants we would use to perform projects in the far north of Ontario for mining, pulp and paper and lumber sites. Custom Buys Parnell Concrete products and establishes a regional office with Block manufacturing and construction supplies as well as a permanent Concrete plant off Riverside drive.

1989

Sarjeant marked 100 years in business.

2005

Sarjeants opened a ready mix plant in Bradford, Ontario. The company also branched off into property development in 2005 in Simcoe County with a fifty estate lot subdivision in Midhurst. This subdivision was completed in 2007.

2006

Sarjeants opens a temporary ready mix plant in Huntsville, Ontario. From this location they could service commercial and residential customers in the Muskoka area. Property development also grew in 2006 when Sarjeants undertook a much larger residential development in Essa Township.

2008

The company acquired three fuel companies, expanding its reach in the fuel business. Custom Concrete (Northern) in Timmins consolidated their locations into a new larger facility in early 2008, bringing their many different divisions under one roof.

2009

Our Huntsville operation grew out of its temporary location into a brand new 5,000 square foot building in early 2009. This location is the regional office for the Muskoka area.

2012

Sarjeants established a concrete plant north-west of Fort McMurray, Alberta to provide concrete for a large commercial project.

2013

Sarjeants opened a new commercial Cardlock fuel depot in Timmins. There are now four centres where trucks are fueled 24 hours by a computerized automated system.

2018
2018

Brandon Elliott appointed President of The Sarjeant Company Ltd.

2023

Sarjeant opens a new ready-mix plant in Parry Sound. This site will also hold a new cardlock fuel/propane outlet. Timmins Rail Depot which includes a cement blending and storage facility, plus future fuel storage, and future propane storage facility. This is to assist with high costs of transport as well as serviceability for products in the North due to inclement weather and treacherous roads. November 2023 also marks a milestone for Sarjeants with the successful acquisition of the Northern Ontario territory, spanning from Fort Frances to New Liskeard, from Superior Propane. The territory operates under the name Sarjeant Propane. Sarjeant Propane welcomes this new chapter and is proud of the chance to bring job opportunities, such as backend office staff, administration, and operations, back to the North, ultimately enabling better service for customers and the community of Northern Ontario.

TODAY

other products & services